Search This Blog

Latest post

Vegan Meatlover's Pizza

Friday, March 19, 2021

Vegan Traditional BLT

 I have been playing around with tempeh a little more. This is a vegan protein source that I do not have much experience with, so my first attempt wasn't the most successful. The fermeted flavor gave me a bitter aftertaste that I found unpleasant and I have not tried it since. I realized that it was my preparation technique and not the actual food that was the issue. Here is my rendition of a vegan tempeh bacon cooked and used in a BLT. 

Vegan traditional BLT with tempeh beacon served with a side of chips


1 block tempeh 
2 tbsp liquid smoke 
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp soy sauce 
2 tbsp oil
2 slices whole wheat bread
3 slice roma tomato
2 leaves of lettuce

1. Slice your tempeh into think slices (about half a centimeter or less). 

2. Place your sliced tempeh into a long flat tupperwear dish or ziplock bag. Then add liquid smoke, smoked paprika, maple syrup, garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce. Let this marinate overnight for best results. 

3. To cook it as bacon, bring a skillet to heat and add oil. Place the tempeh bacon on the hot pan and let it cook about 3 minutes on each side.

4. As the bacon cooks, bring out a few slices of your preferred bread and spread one side with vegan mayonnaise. 

5. Thinly slice a roma tomato (three slices per sandwich) and cut 2 leaves of lettuce in half to fit the bread. 

6. Top the cooked bacon on the mayo. Then add tomato and lettuce. Top with another slice of bread and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers