Search This Blog

Latest post

Vegan Meatlover's Pizza

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Reviewing the JUST Egg plant-based egg substitute

 I feel as though I am not alone when I say I definitely miss the flavors of some of the animal-based food I used to eat. Of course my motivation for abstaining from these foods far outweighs any temptation I have towards them. But, like many others, I wish to have substitutes to stave off these cravings. One of the few animal-based meals I actually do crave is eggs. While I use tofu to make tofu scramble, I sometimes crave omelettes or other egg-based meals that are  a bit harder to make with tofu. 

JUST egg is a plant-based egg substitute that debuted in 2017, marveling many people. The substitute is created from mung beans which are high in nutrients including protein. When it comes to reviewing these products, I keep it as objective as possible, with the exception of my opinion on its taste. My review for plant-based substitutes will also take into account how close the food is to the original food it tries to emulate. Here are my results for JUST egg:

 

A JUST Egg Omelette with a side of potato and strawberries.

What I Liked:

Cooks Like Egg: 

I was quite amazed at how it cooks, and binds together just like eggs do. I have used it as the binder in a french toast custard as well and it works amazingly! The texture is very similar and requires the same cooking times. I have also created scramble eggs and omelettes with this. This is an excellent substitute if anyone is craving anything such as omurice. 

 Looks Like Egg: 

This definitely looks extremely similar to eggs and can easily help with visual appeal if that is something you would like. The various items I have made with this are quite indistinguishable from items that could be made with "regular egg." 

 Nutritional Proportions:  

For this I will go off of the macros of the single serving sizes. One egg has approximately 70 calories, 6g of protein, less than 1g of carbohydrate, and 4.5g of total fat. One serving of JUST Egg (3 tbsp.) has approximately 70 calories, 5g of protein, 1g of carbohydrate, and 5g of total fat. For me, it is safe to say that the macros are quite similar, making this a pretty good substitute, nutritionally.

What I Didn't Like:

Hefty Price:

It comes as no surprise to many people that most plant-based substitutes for animal-based food are expensive. This goes from plant-based milks, plant-based butters, to plant-based meats. I love that JUST Egg is sold in the same location as the regular eggs are, but if I were a consumer who were interested in a plant-based diet and could not afford this product, I would definitely be disheartened. A dozen eggs can go as low as $1.08 in my local grocery store, while the JUST Egg container costs $4.48 for only eight servings. I am hoping this will decrease.

Could Taste More Like Egg:

This may be my most controversial opinion regarding this. I do think that this product tastes quite similar to egg. And has the same textural elements. However, the mung bean flavor comes in quite strong, especially when making an omelette, scramble, or breakfast sandwich. If anyone is also looking for the more sulfur-y notes of egg, they would be disappointed. I know that vegans have ingenious found ways to infuse kala namak (black salt) as a way to add "eggy" tastes to tofu scramble or gram flower scramble. It would have been nice to see an ingredient like that. However, with good seasoning, it is possible to subdue the mung bean taste and have it behave like egg. 



Stamp of Approval

Yes, I would definitely approve this as an excellent substitute, especially for french toast, breakfast sandwiches, or breakfast burritos. This has the potential to be a staple in a vegan fridge. However, I feel as though the price point may be too high for many people to enjoy. Luckily, there are plenty of homemade ways to enjoy omelettes, scrambles and breakfast sandwiches. This product is definitely not required, but I would recommend it if it is in your price point to try it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers